Thursday, December 14, 2006

Losin my sight; losing my mind

I started back up on Advair, an inhaled steroid to prevent asthma, about a week ago and I've gotten steadily worse every day. Monday was a two narcotic one anti-emetic day. Tuesday was a one narcotic one anti-emetic day.

But more annoying than the pain and nausea are the vision problems. Cam was standing in my doorway over the weekend and I couldn't see his face. When the pressure in my head is high faces often look like bees made of buzzing around. Cam looked like that.

Then yesterday I took my final for my math class and had a lot of trouble. The very nice fellow at the testing center did all he could for me; putting me in a small room with only two people in it and seating me next to an open window so the heat wouldn't make me faint. But there was nothing he could do about the florescent lights or the sheer stress of the two hour test.

I made it through (and think I did pretty well) but when I walked out my eyes were very bad. I was seeing double, but it was weirder than that. I actually saw an effect like this on House the other week, a boy with some kind of crazy thing going on who thought he was a faith healer saw the same kinds of things. It's like a tunnel with the very middle being least blurry and the edges more blurry, but nothing looking good.

I took my glasses off and walked around for a little while, in fact I didn't put them back on until we were in the car ready to go home. Things were better then, good enough that I drove us home.

This morning I reviewed everything, all the visual disturbances, the constant headaches, the deafening tinnitus, the feeling that my heart isn't really pumping my blood, that it's just kind of sitting there meditating, the gasping for breath, all the other PTC symptoms and wondered how long I was going to try to ignore all this. I remembered how bad my eyes were when I was first diagnosed and decided it really wasn't fair to put everyone through that and called my doctor.

End result, back on Diamox, 500 mgs a day and we'll see if that gets things under control without so much of the blood sugar side effects. I'm pretty bummed about it, I really want to get better and stay off the meds. But my vision is kind of important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home