Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Humans are weird

I went to the lab today to have several vials of blood drawn (PT/INR, ferritin, CBC, etc.). It wasn't what you would call a good time. The first phlebotomist checked both my hands, gave up, checked my left arm and then told the second one she would have to draw my blood instead.

The second phlebotomist then drew all this blood from the vein that runs along the big knuckle and into my index finger. It was quite painful and made my other fingers twitch. It also made me dizzy and sick but luckily I didn't throw up or faint, so go me.

As I sat in the car after, waiting to feel well enough to drive, I thought that it's awfully odd that we have the ability to make an appointment to go in and get something done that we hate and that we know is going to hurt us. It's not even like getting a root canal where you are already in such pain you'll do anything to make it stop hurting; instead you take someone who feels perfectly well and send them in so they can be stabbed, in pain and naseauted.

It just leaves me with one questions. When are we going to finally develop a tricorder? It's barbaric to actually have to pierce the skin to get simple blood data.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home