Tuesday, December 09, 2003

I'm listening to a live version of Round Here recorded on 6/20/2003. I haven't heard this version before. I like how he says carving out our names and then spells A D A M.

I used to say that was the project greenlight theme song. We're all carving out our names. We all do look the same because we're online. Oh so much of that song fits. Sigh.

I stayed up late reading Ashton's story. I cried at the end which is kind of peculiar given that this man died in 1831 and I knew that.

I have always said the best way to learn history is to read journals. Because a war is a war is a war but a soldier's story is going to be immediate and compelling.

I wonder what happened to Ashton's family. His wife and infant boy. When did the West Indies throw off the yoke of slavery. Why is it the yoke anyway? I see the obvious connection but why not the chains? The fetters? The cruelty? The pure evil of it?

Is yoke easier to tolerate? Does it conjure up images of bland faced oxen stolidly doing their work as if they don't care about it at all?

The truth that is slavery is too much. It was too much when it happened and it's too much now.

Still I may write a story just for Ashton. It's the least he deserves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home