Sunday, March 21, 2004

Bats

I adore bats. I think they are super cool to quote Plastic Bertrand. I'm reading one of PGL2s top fifty scripts and it called bats flying rodents. I think this is one of those sort of ubiquitous bits of misinformation that litter the world.

Bats are members of the Vespertilionidae family. How is that for a wicked cool name? I read a really bad book about giant bats attacking New York called Vespers a few years ago. I wonder how many people picked that book up thinking it was about Catholics.

According to this one site I looked at once out of the 4500 mammal species running around over a thousand are bats. That's impressive and interesting but is it true? It seems to me I could name 4500 species of mammal myself if I sat here long enough. I am sure things like dogs count as one even though there are lots of breeds.

But still I have to wonder. I wonder about a lot of things that are plunked down in front of me as a fact.

Back in the day when I used to hang out with my friend Colin I used to sell the occasional bat house for him. If you have never seen a bat box you should take a look and of course a thatched bat box is the bomb dot com. I'm just sayin'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home