Sunday, June 05, 2005

Phishing scams

I got an email today purportedly from PayPal saying:

You have added brian12313@yahoo.com as a new email address for your PayPal account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with your account, please contact PayPal customer service at

and then there is a link. This is the best scam email I have ever gotten. I actually thought about clicking the link. In my defense I was pretty sleepy but still it shows we need to be ever vigilant and that it's true quite a lot of scum use yahoo addresses.

2 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are worse (i.e., more sophisticated) phishing scams than that. You might want to look at a couple of instructive phish-identification quizzes I linked to from here:

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/005863.html

--tnh

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Georgiana said...

Teresa - thank you for the link. I took the test and got 8/10, with two false positives.

I tried to post about it in your comment section but I think the comment didn't show up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home