Saturday, June 30, 2007

A tiny love story inside a bigger love story

This is part of what I wrote today. Clive, my protagonist, is sitting in a cab looking out the window while his friend has a fight with the cab driver.

I tuned them out while I looked out the window. A very tall, thin man that looked as though he'd escaped from a mortuary, either as the proprietor or one of the cadavers, was standing just inside the opposite tiny alley. He was so still he was almost impossible to see, people walked right past him without noticing. At last a giantess of a woman with hips big enough to hold seven children came striding down the street. She carried what looked like an entire encyclopedia all bound up with red twine in one hand and a basket with a loaf of bread and an enormous cheese peeking out of the other. She was whistling while she walked, loud enough that I could hear her through the glass pane of the cab.

As she drew near she started singing and I rolled the window down so I could hear her. Poofter seemed enthralled by her, sticking his head out the window and looking at her longingly while wagging his tail furiously. She was singing a song about voles and how they pass the winter months. As she drew near the alley the thin man stepped out and blocked her path, putting his hand out as though he were seeking alms.

"You'd be wise not to block my way old man," she said to him.

"Wisdom has never taken root in my heart Bessie. You know that. Only love flowers there."

"You're a fool," she said. "A thousand times over."

"Aye, a fool for love. Let me just come and sit at your feet and watch you eat. Let me watch you read. Let me bask in your presence one more time, just once, light of my life."

She started to walk away. "With you once turns into a thousand times. I've got no patience for you old man. Get back to counting your money and leave me alone."

"I've hired someone to count it for me," he said. "I'm trying, the Good Lord knows I'm trying."

She laughed and stopped, turning back to him. "Oh yes, you're the most trying man I know. I'll share this one supper with you but the chocolate and the raspberries are for me. Agreed?"

He nodded and took the books, stumbling from the weight of them. "Don't worry," he said. "I can manage."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home