Friday, July 06, 2007

Go Uncle Google!!

I'm extremely excited about this post up at the Google blog about Google's hard work making their book search accesible to the visually impaired.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/ever-more-books-to-read.html

When I was a little girl I was told I'd be blind by Christmas (yay! what a gift!) and immediately embarked on some experimental program where I had to dilate my eyes all the time and wear dark glasses when I went outside. No doctor I've spoken with since has any idea what that meant or why this happened but either it worked or the whole thing was a scam.

I do have pretty crappy vision anyway, 20/800 and astigmatism. Throw in the damage to my eyes from having swollen optic nerves and all that hemorrhaging and I do occasionally stay awake all night wondering if I'm going to end up totally blind. Statistically five percent of those with PTC end up blind in at least one eye. And those are the ones who are treated.

Anyway, just more reason to love Uncle Google.

Here is a link right to the Google accessible web search for the visually impaired. http://labs.google.com/accessible/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home