Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The delivery leaves something to be desired

I got a letter from our school system today saying teen suicide and suicide attempts are up in the county and listing some danger signs we're supposed to watch out for. Some of them are a little weird, like your child "visiting online memorials for deceased youths". What if your child has a friend or schoolmate who died, then isn't visiting a memorial for them a perfectly appropriate thing to do? Might it not in fact aid the grieving process? And when you think about it, doesn't just about every high school lose a student at some point? Right off the top of my head I can think of children who died in traffic accidents, from falls, from illness, from shootings, and yes, from suicide. And that's just kids that I or my friends have known. It's a rather grim picture.

But what's really weird about this letter is the way I got it. The school sent it home with my son. It seems to me if you want to make sure a parent gets a letter that a child may not want you to see there has to be a better delivery system. They did follow up with a phone call, but again, my son answered the phone. In his case it reminded him to get the letter, but what if a student didn't want his parents to see the warning list? It's all very worrisome.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home