Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

I just finished reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon. In fact I kind of took the day off to read it. I didn't get online until almost six and I totally skipped this housing expo I was thinking about attending.

Like a lot of "literary" books I had a little trouble getting into it. (Weirdly I also notice I have this problem with books that have the pages that aren't all the same size. I lose my page, I can't find it again, I don't like the way the pages feel against my fingers as I read. Also this book was from the library with one of those plastic covers and it just felt really icky. It's hard to read something you don't want to touch. But I digress.) The first few days I read just a few pages a day. Then last night I got up to page two hundred and finished the rest today.

I'm guessing most everyone's already read it, what with it winning so many awards, so I'm not going to say much about it. I enjoyed it very much. Michael Chabon has a flair for description that makes me laugh out loud and read bits to whoever happens to be nearby. I give it a strong recommend but I was puzzled by the ending, which could just be me. There was something at the very end that to me meant something big but is completely uncommented upon. Maybe I just missed an explanation earlier in the story. That's very possible. I can be unobservant and forgetful, which isn't the best combo for trying to get on top of a mystery/alternate history story.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home