Thursday, May 12, 2005

Vampires were first invented in 1920? Huh?

Someone said this in a review of Anne Rice's latest book -

Vampires were first invented in 1920


I think they know very little factlore, folklore or filmlore. As far as I know the first vampire novel was Varney the Vampire; or, The Feast of Blood published in 1847. Unless I have totally lost my math skills that predates 1920.

Wait, what about Polidori and the famous night on the lake that led to Frankenstein? That was in 1816 and Polidori wrote The Vampyre. That's a full century before they were "invented" according to that reviewer.

Of course there are rich legends of vampires in many cultures, including the Chinese vampire which has its feet on backwards so when you think you see it walking one way in the snow it is really going the other way.

I just hope that when I say something stupendously wrong I can listen to those who tell me I am mistaken. Actually I remember a few years ago when my friend Kevin N. was over to my house and we were talking about Barq's root beer and he said it had caffeine and I said no, root beer never had caffeine. He insisted that it did and I picked up the bottle while saying "Kevin there is no way in hell that" and here I saw caffeine as a listed ingredient and I finished "know what I am talking about!"

1 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are no actress. Some little nobody parts in something no ones ever heard of. What a joke. Get a real life instead of the pretend life going on in your head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home