Monday, November 14, 2005

Avoiding the Inner Editor

Yesterday I was going to take the day off and not do any writing for NaNoWriMo. I'm doing really well and I was very tired but I then I decided I would write just ten words for every chapter I read of my book and I ended up writing three thousand words by the end of the day.

It really helps to know that this could be the crappiest first draft ever because I'll fix it all later. Look what I did here:

"He's five years younger than I am. He's an actor also. You may have heard of him, Kieran Wade."

"Get out, Kieran is your brother? But you don't look anything alike. And you have different last names." She stopped and thought for a moment, sitting back down on the couch and putting her feet up. "Never mind, I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything in this day and age."

"He's either from a second marriage and my biological dad is dead or he just picked another name for his acting career."

Hmm, thought Mallory, if his father is dead, then maybe he and Seth will have something in common and they'll be able to bond. That would be good. "That's an interesting choice," she said.

"I'm just trying to help you keep your mind off of your headache. How's that going?"

See at first I was going to get stuck writing because I didn't know which it was, why did they have different last names but then I realized since it's NaNoWriMo different rules apply so I had him actually say there was a choice, thinking I could come back later and then she said what I was thinking about the advantages of different answers and then he turned it into a kind of a little joke and I may not have to change it later at all. But most importantly I kept writing instead of stopping and putting the thing away until I knew what I wanted to do. That's the mighty power of NaNoWriMo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home