Sunday, March 19, 2006

A Shark Ate My Dog Toby

I had this dream this morning in which a large part of my family (I have nine brothers and sisters) gathered for some sort of reunion. They were all out in front of this house asking me to take pictures of them but I was really grouchy because my vision was going very quickly. I don't know whether the sun was setting or I was just going blind but everything was brown and very hard to make out and I certainly couldn't see a thing through the camera. To make matters worse my hearing had also been affected so everything sounded like it was underwater.

I was sitting on the front porch, being grouchy and thinking "why me?" thoughts when this really terrific dog came up and told me his name was Toby and he wanted to live with me and he would help me see and hear. I was all for it and things got better until we went for a walk at which point he ran off with two other dogs and jumped into this water, it was kind of like one of those culverts you see where the water is really brackish and hard to see through and connects to more water, in this case to some kind of water processing plant where the water was this vivid, algae laden green.

Toby and the two other dogs were barking and snarling and leaping at something in the water, attacking it and I was yelling for him to come back when this ginormous shark opened up its mouth and ate all three of them. It was grey and fucking huge. It was much longer than a city bus and it was quite terrifying and really how did it fit and why was it there?

My brothers and sisters were scattered all over the treatment, leaning out over the water, pointing at things and I started yelling to them that there was a shark and they thought I was mad. Every time I saw its grey body slicing through the green water I would yell and point but I was the only one who could see it. It seemed so queer that the one with the worst vision could see the shark. One of my sisters said she would be find out if there was one and she climbed down into the water!!

As soon as she did I saw the shark coming back again, rolling onto its back, opening its mouth, which was as big as a cave, and I screamed at her to roll onto her back and kick at it but then this boy jumped into the water and got between the two of them and the shark went after him instead, grabbing his feet and pulling him under and that's when I woke up, with my heart pounding and a terrible headache.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to get back to sleep so I picked up this book that Kim suggested I read called Life of Pi and saw it had a cover with a man or a boy in a small boat with a large tiger, at sea, surrounded by sharks and turtles. Hmmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home