Monday, December 15, 2008

This is mysterious

The Toymaker, who is a personal favorite of mine, has a post about words that have been removed from a dictionary. Her quote, which starts with a quote from an article in the Telegraph:

"Oxford University Press has removed words like "aisle", "bishop", "chapel", "empire" and "monarch" from its Junior Dictionary and replaced them with words like "blog", "broadband" and "celebrity". Dozens of words related to the countryside have also been culled."
.
Excuse me whilst I smooth my crinolines and pour myself a cup of Earl Grey, but it made me feel a bit sad. Poor lost words. So I drew a picture of some of the ones that had been erased so you could see what they look like.

Then she's got some gorgeous drawings, which you should go and look at.

I don't understand why we have to remove words in order to add new ones. Do we think children can only remember so many words? Do we not want to pay for the extra sheet of paper? The mind boggles.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home