Monday, January 03, 2005

A Little Princess

After reading The Secret Garden I read A Little Princess online. There is no way I could ever critique this book. I just love it too much and I have ever since I was a little tiny girl. It's about the power of story to help you get through the terrible times. I don't care if this story breaks every rule of good writing. It works for me and it always has. I love it and it helped me through my own terrible parts of my childhood. Thank you Ms. Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Then I read a terrible book called Footsteps. It's a mystery written in 1929. The middle and the ending are really choppy and I suspect they were marvelously modern when written. The middle of the book is not bad but that is because the story switches to being told from the pov of some letters.

One of the biggest problems I had with the book is that it takes place 28 years after the mystery and you know who died and how and it's all flashbacks. There is no suspense. Then at the end a character says even a fool could tell who done it. Well I am not a fool but I had no idea.

The best part of the book was little 12 year old Lucy telling her sister how much she loves her with things like if her love were a clover seed planted in a meadow it would fill the entire meadow. Then another character tells her not to be so fancy with her love declarations so she stops and there goes the most interesting stuff. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home