Saturday, January 01, 2005

What are they smoking?

I read this book today that I didn't like at all. It's called Bygones by LaVyrle Spencer. Now mind you I tend to like romances. I read one called You Belong to Me by Johanna Lindsay (Sp? I don't have the book in front of me so I might have spelt that wrong) which was loads of fun and had ponies in it.

This book had characters I could not like and a lot of being bitter and recriminations and blaming themselves and each other for ridiculous things. The only reason I finished it is because I am such a quick reader and I forced myself. The middle was the best part but there was this bit where the son of the family, Randy, smokes some pot. Or at least he is supposedly smoking some bud but the description sounds like the 17 hits of acid he took and the coke he snorted kicked in around the same time as he toked up.

I just have this image of Ms. Spencer sitting there earnestly interviewing a "pothead" and writing down everything he said about the experience while he lied his head off and laughed his ass off.

It's a shame when one scene makes the entire rest of the book not credible but Ms. Spencer if I can't believe your description of getting high then I can't believe anything else you describe either. Sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home