Sunday, April 02, 2006

Get a Horse!

I'm going to try to read all the Pulitzer Prize winners, going back to Age of Innocence, the oldest one in my library. Hell, possibly the oldest one there is for all I know. You could fit my knowledge of the Pulitzer in a thimble and have plenty of room to spare.

I read Age of Innocence last week while I was sick with the GI thing. I liked it as much as I like anything that doesn't send me into rhapsodies. I would say it was okay but that sounds tepid and I liked it more than tepid, if that makes any sense.

Today I started The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington (why does that name make me think of a football player?) It's quite interesting so far and funny in a sly sort of way.

At one point some kids surround a horseless carriage and start yelling "Git a hoss!!"

Gosh that brought back memories. We used to say that when I was a girl. If we saw someone with a broken down car by the side of road that's what we would yell at them. "Hey, get a horse!"

I'm trying to remember where I learnt it. From my greatgrandfather who died when I was seven or eight? He was born in the 1800s and used to tell me stories of horsedrawn carriages. He also taught me to say "One for the money, two to show, three to get ready" before starting any race. He was a dear and I loved him very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home