Saturday, April 29, 2006

What Kind of Life Do You Lead Mister?

A quote:

"The point is, it's the most important event of my lifetime. "
- Paul Greengrass, on the timing of his film United 93


In the interests of disclosure first let me say I think this film is a terrible idea. I hate it. I hate that it has been made and I hate that people are profiting from it.

That said, what kind of life does Paul Greengrass have that a few buildings being knocked down by a maniac is the most important event?

Let's look at some things that have happened in my lifetime - I'm 43 this March.

  • We landed on the moon.
  • Development of the internets for commercial use.
  • Tremendous strides in gene manipulation; wonderful uses in medicine like new ways to get insulin.
  • Fertilization outside of the womb and freezing of zygotes.
  • Stem cell discoveries including the fact that fat can be made into stem cells.
  • Secretariat won the Triple Crown.
  • Super giant squids were discovered.

If you want to just concentrate on bad things (no idea why you would but let's do that since the attacks on September 11 were tragic, let's do it in case that's what he meant.)

  • The AIDS virus appeared, killing millions of people and orphaning a ridiculous number of poverty stricken children.
  • Ebola appeared; man that's a million times more frightening that some hairy guy with a beard who needs dialysis.
  • New Orleans was destroyed while the governments took pictures and ate sandwiches.
  • Dan Brown wrote The Da Vinci Code.

I could go on and on and on but my point is this guy who says that the events that took place on a plane in the early morning hours of September 11, 2001 are the most important is either so bound up in his film that he can't think straight, he has tunnel vision or he's a pessimistic shut-in who only pays attention to a tiny bit of what's out there or has been out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home