Wednesday, July 12, 2006

More poetry

I wrote another poem today. This one is about a recurring character called Tinker. She showed up in this thing I wrote a few months ago about an evil carnival. Today's thing is written from a different perspective, some women who are worried about her motives but still I was somewhat surprised to have her show up again.

It's also odd that I'm writing any poetry at all. I tend to be rather nasty and think that all poetry is like the awful stuff you find every time you turn around. I'm always really surprised when I find something I like, even though part of me knows that's ridiculous, obviously there's some great poetry out there. But still I think of it badly and when I find myself writing it I feel kind of abashed and silly. Even if I like the finished piece.

I wish there were some sort of primer I could find online that would direct me to stuff I would like. Sort of an if you like The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and you've written parodies of the brilliant plum thing by William Carlos Williams (This is Just to Say) you'll like ________

And on a different, albeit related noted there are some rather horrifying comments in this blog entry about This is Just to Say; to wit:

What I do know -or at least feel- is that prosody is anti-content....Anti-content: itÂ?s pretty clear that having to choose words based on how they sound skews the optimal delivery of intended meaning.


This Poem is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO weird. I dont get it. Who really gives a crap if somebody ate the plums in the icebox???!?!? Anyway, what in the heck does this poem signify? P.S. My english teacher made me read it, I try not to do insignificant things on my own time.


Sigh. Despite my poetical illiteracy I certainly don't hold views like these. Mostly I've been subjected to so much bad poetry or lots of frilly ballad (I know, wrong word, sorry) thingies from a couple of centuries ago that I tend to think I don't like the field as a whole. Much like the way I can tell you I don't like mysteries despite my deep love of Charlotte Armstrong, Dick Francis, Jane Krentz, etc., etc.

Time to find that primer...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home