Monday, June 26, 2006

Giving Away Large Sums of Money

We had a rough day today. Cam IMed me to say that one of the dogs traveling on his trip with him bit him and another girl, hard enough to draw blood, and tried to bite the 80+ year old woman who is also on the trip. He wasn't clear on whether this dog has had its shots. This is not the first time this dog has bitten him hard enough to make him bleed and I can only wonder and worry about what the rest of this long trip will be like with three adults, two children and two dogs all crammed together for weeks. Hopefully they won't all be biting each other when the journey is over.

Cullen fainted in the shower, hitting his head. We're not sure what was going on with that, he's had a fever the last few days and I'm hoping it is something simple like dehydration from a virus. Still worrying and he goes to the doctor tomorrow afternoon.

My vision is worse, with large black holes appearing and vanishing. I go to the optho-neurologist tomorrow.

So it's all rather worrying.

But I was extremely pleased to read this article about Warren Buffet giving a ginormous amount of money away. I particularly liked these quotes which seem both sensible and the way rich people should think:

"We agreed with Andrew Carnegie, who said that huge fortunes that flow in large part from society should in large part be returned to society"

"But I would argue that when your kids have all the advantages anyway, in terms of how they grow up and the opportunities they have for education, including what they learn at home -- I would say it's neither right nor rational to be flooding them with money."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home