Saturday, September 09, 2006

Captain Picard, Neil Gaiman, Cameron and I walk into a ruin...

Last night I was trying to do my math homework but mysteriously found myself watching all of lonelygirl15's video instead, wondering if they were made by GMD studios, the brilliant minds behind FreakyLinks, the best website ever created. I got to thinking that the names Bree, Daniel and Cassie made me think of the Columbine shooting so I did a little googling and sure enough they are all names of victims, or near victims and then I saw something that surprised me, given the hype around this shooting, that the tragedy was the second worst school murders in US history.

Second worst? What was that all about? I looked around some more and read about an appalling bombing of a school in Michigan that took place in 1927, called the Bath School Disaster. A stupid, selfish, horrible, criminal farmer killed his wife, burnt up his farm animals, blew up a school and then his car, also killing the school superintendent and a child that had escaped the school after the bombing.

Just reading about it made me sick and dizzy and when I went to sleep I dreamt I was at the school, what was left of it anyway, talking to Captain Picard and Neil Gaiman about how awful it was when Cameron walked into the building to see what he could see. There was one clump of dynamite left and it went off, knocking down one of the remaining walls and trapping Cam.

The entire town came running and started shifting pieces of rubble by hand trying to get him out and Neil told me to talk to Cam via his laptop, using Google Talk, to keep him calm so I did, trying to get him to tell us what he could see and how much air was left, which he did except he kept crying that there wasn't any air at all, and then three ghosts of children killed in the original blast, two girls and a boy, appeared and told me they were going to Cam to calm him down and tell him what it was like for them and it was only as I was telling this to Cam that I realized he would hardly find this assuring and then he came into my room to use the phone and woke me up and I don't know what eventually happened there in dreamland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home