Tuesday, April 01, 2003

I was noticing I've been talking a good bit about things I don't like so I thought I'd talk about things I do like. My surgeon, Dr. Rosoff, who is a wonderful man to whom I owe my life, told me I have an affinity to Jewish men and he's quite right. I'm also drawn to British men and when you combine them forget it, I'm done for.

I was talking to my friend charmpri and I was asking him about Rugby. I've been reading British novelists since as long as can remember. If you insist on accuracy I've actually been reading their books but whatever. Now football I can figure out. I can even read it in Russian. (My boss, Andras showed me how one day) charmpri explained a bit about Rugby and now I have an inkling.

But cricket. My lord I hadn't a clue. I must have read hundreds of books that mentioned crickets and I was pretty sure it involved white uniforms and red balls and bowling, but not American bowling, and bats, but not American bats or flying bats (though that would be would be intriguing) and perhaps a sticky wicket but I might have gotten that last part from a PG Wodehouse novel.

"Bit of a sticky wicket, eh old chap?"

"Yes, yes, but nothing a spot of tea won't put right."

Or perhaps a jellied eel. And what that is I never, ever, ever want to know. The consumption of Turkish Delight was one of the biggest letdowns of my adult life and led me to wonder what on earth Edmund saw in it and why he let the Witch give him piece one.

I've a feeling I got most of my cricket knowledge from Douglas Adams.

Anyway, I finally watched The Crying Game and it did give me a hint of what cricket might be about. I liked the film a lot even though the "surprise" was ruined by the first review of the film which is why it took me so long to see it. I thought the acting was good. But I've got a question. Forrest Whittaker was good. Quite good. Why is he so wretched in The New Twilight Zone? Did he have an actingectomy? If he did it's really a shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home