Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Where's Trixi?

We met Tim when we were in fifth grade. He transferred from a school in the south. He was a skinny, redheaded boy with a goofy accent. He wore glasses. His mother dressed him funny.

We were outside playing jacks during recess. Trixi was winning. She always does. Sometimes I think she's not of this world. I don't meant that to sound like I think she is dead because I won't think like that.

Anyway, there we were, scooping up the fives and she stiffened. She looked like a hound dog sniffing for a lost kid for a second. Then she leaned over and very dramatically said "That is the boy I am going to marry."

"What boy?" I asked.

"The one behind me."

I looked and saw the new kid. "The one with the glasses?"

She nodded. "He's the one."

"You haven't even seen him yet. He's behind you."

She smiled. "He's the one. I don't have to see him with my earthly eyes. We're destined for each other."

What happened? How did she end up with Dale? She was so sure that day and every day until suddenly Tim was never around and this guy was always around. Why didn't she marry Tim? She'd still be here with us. I know that like I know how to breathe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home