Saturday, May 29, 2004

Dreams and portents?

I am reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series. I finished The Subtle Knife yesterday. It's fabulous and like all good art it crept into my dreams. In the world of the lead, Lyra, the soul manifests as a daemon, a separate being in the shape of an animal. There is a big struggle going on with the church and that is all I want to say because I would hate to spoil it but you should go read it.

I dreamt I was in this church. I was meant to read one of the readings but I just did not fit in. The priest kept complaining about everything. He didn't like my shoes. I wasn't even wearing the falsely maligned pink Chuck Taylors or the African cat shoes. In fact I believe I was barefoot and wearing what I wore when I was a disciple in Jesus Christ Superstar.

For that show I wore dance tights and a hippy dress. My boyfriend at the time was mad because my dress was sort of transparent when the light came from behind. He said it was too revealing but I had dance tights and a bra for heavens sakes. Our Jesus said I was lighting up his life and not change my costume. But I digress.

In this dream the priest didn't like my jewelry either. I had some kind of talisman in a box on a string round my neck. I believe I had stored my life in the box.

He didn't like my daemon being in church. Criminy if you can't take your soul to church where can you take it? Then he wanted to know of what generation my father is. I was confused by this question and said he was of the generation before mine.

The priest looked him up in a book and said he was of the 2012 generation. I thought this meant my father will die in 2012 but could get no straight answer from the priest, just a series of incriminations ending in that I should be more like my sister Hilary. Like that is going to happen. Nothing is going to reform this outcast Bohemian rebel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home