Sunday, September 12, 2004

The W is for Women, no really

I got some spam from the Bush campaign that tells me that the W is for Women website is now up.

Let me get this straight, the man who cried like a schoolboy facing exam week because someone made fun of his name now wants us to call him George Woman Bush? It's like some bitter joke that's not really very funny.

The spam assures me that Woman Bush is the candidate for women. Do tell. Let me see now, what has he done for reproductive rights? Passed that fake partial birth abortion thing that opens the door to banning all abortions. Mind you I am personally not someone who would get an abortion under any circumstances even though I take a medicine that would require my doctor to abort any pregnancies against my will, and isn't that interesting? But I believe very strongly that when abortion is illegal women will die from terrible home abortions or those purchases illegally.

It's all very well to rant and rave about how people should be more careful and more responsible but you can't fool mother nature all of the time. I know people who are married who have gotten pregnant on every form of birth control, the pill, the old sponge, IUD, tubal ligation, etc and some of these women got pregnant twelve years after tubal ligantions or after their husbands got vasecectomies, twelve years, what a shock that must have been. So there you have it the body will get pregnant no matter what and we have to be prepared to face the fact that not everyone will be willing or able to carry through on those pregnancies.

Moving on, has Woman Bush made it any safer to be a woman? Are crimes against women down? Are there fewer rapes, murders, kidnappings, and has spousal abuse gone away?

Is the glass ceiling gone? Do women have equal rights? Can I go outside in just my shorts to mow my lawn like my fat beer swilling neighbour? (that last one is not so serious)

What about mothers like me who have children who are just exactly the right age to be drafted? Are we sleeping better at night? Do we not worry about the possible draft? What about those of us who are the parents of military personnel or are in the military? Are we better off?

What exactly is your point George Woman? I'm afraid I have failed to grasp exactly how you are the woman's candidate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home