Saturday, October 02, 2004

To dream a little dream

I dreamt about living with an elderly Jewish couple who had survived the Holocaust. I was sorting through their letters and photos with them because that is what they had to leave the world and they wanted it to be the very best legacy possible.

They were such wonderful people and I had this deep underlying sadness because they were so old and so sure they were going to die soon.

Then I dreamt I was on some sort of ship on some sort of weird colonizing mission. At one point along the crossing this guy who looked like Johnny Depp was showing me this amazing new invention that was dead boring, these little plastic bracelets that seemed a lot like those ties you use to tie off garbage bags or something, you run one end into the other and then tighten it down on your wrist. I have had something similar with my name on it at the hospital on occasion.

These were supposed to be so exciting because they had *gasp* compressed air in them for what reason I could not fathom. I put some on my wrists to humour the poor fellow and then on the wrists of my baby. Now I don't know who this baby is or where it came from. It was about nine months old. Old enough to be kind of heavy to carry around but too young to do much locomotion on its own which will become important in a moment or two.

Suddenly someone did something terrible to the boat and it sank, just like that. There I was clutching this baby and frantically trying to save its life. I knew instantly that this had happened many times before and I had never been able to save the baby. We both drowned every single time because I couldn't swim and hold the baby at the same time. I tried stuffing it into my shirt but that didn't work. Then I tried kicking its little legs with my hands but that didn't work. Meanwhile I had to blow little gasps of air into it as we were pretty deep under the water, pulled down by the force of the ship sinking.

Now that I am thinking about it, I wonder. My friend magicalcat once told it appeared that Dan and I had drowned on the Titanic. I've always had an unreasonable fear of that ship and panic when I have to look at pictures of it under the sea and I absolutely freaked out when I watched the movie. But I digress.

As I was frantically trying to save this baby, and I guess secondarily myself, the guy who looked like Johnny Depp swam over and tapped the little amazing, astounding bracelets and we shot up to the surface and could breathe again.

Later after he had managed to put the ship back together, in some mystical dreamy way, he explained that the bracelets had saved our lives because they were filled with compressed air, which of course made them super duper floaty since it was more air than regular air.

Later this one guy wanted to go back to Spain, where we started, but I told him that was ridiculous since our ship had been sabotaged by those who sent us away. I didn't want to go back I wanted to go forward into our new life.

I would dearly love for someone to analyze that dream.

2 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johny Depp?
Damn,I never have celebs in my dreams.
-SCA

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home