Saturday, March 26, 2005

Disorientation abounds

I was up until four or five this morning. It's getting harder and harder for me to sleep. I can only think I have gotten more sensitive to events in the world because ever since Fiddler's Green in November I am always sad about something going on. It started with the invasion of Fallujah during the weekend of Fiddler's Green. Of course once you start crying over Iraq it's hard to stop. Then the tsunami made me cry for months. This week we have Terri Schiavo and Jeff Weise to rebreak my heart. The end result is that sleep is very hard to get.

I woke up around 11 when Cam called. I logged into Pogo to earn my badge of the week. This is a deal where Club Pogo members play certain games and win cute (or ugly) little icons to put next to their names. They might sound goofy but loads of people will play games they hate to earn them and fill up their badge books.

This week one of the games is chess. Now remember I have trouble saying the right words for things. You will often hear me say "and when I say cheese I mean the library books." I think it's a PTC thing because a lot of other people from my support group have it also but it could be post meningitis. Anyway, I do it and we all try and work around it. Hopefully there will never be a fire and I yell "Pollywogs!" or something.

I opened up the chess game and was dumped into one in progress. I was so confused I felt like I was dreaming. I couldn't remember any of the pieces from the last time I played. I remembered them from when I was a kid, I knew a rook was a rook and all but I stared at the screen, trying to automatically play because the timer is ticking down, trying to figure out how I played all those games a few months ago and only moved the pawns. That's what I was remembering, a game where I moved something with the equivalent ability of a pawn, but wait a moment, wasn't it a different shape? Yes my pieces had been round and flat, crap I was thinking of checkers!

The weekly challenges are announced on Wednesday. For three days every time I imagined playing these games I had been thinking of checkers but reading the word chess. Boy did I feel stupid.

Then I logged into Blogger and saw this news item:

Blogger News

Blogger's Day Flowers? Chocolates? Brunch? Those are all acceptable ways of honoring mom but we thought we'd do something different. An all-new release of Blogger on Mother's day. It's not a traditional gift, but we made it ourselves so we thought that might count for something. Please bear with us this Sunday at 3PM PST for a couple hours of scheduled downtime while we work on launching all the additional features and a whole new look for Blogger.
– Biz [5/7/2004] #

And I got even more confused. Mother's Day this weekend? But Easter is this weekend. Maybe they moved Mother's Day? But no, Hallmark would never stand for that because they would lose card sales.

Finally I noticed that the news is all from 2004. It's hard enough having a waterlogged brain and fighting to be as smart as I used to be. It would be nice if I didn't encounter little rifts in the space time continuum to further confuse me. Here's hoping for a sensible rest of the day.

1 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home