Thursday, February 10, 2005

Tell me again why I can't be a cyborg?

I was just reading this page about programmable shunts. The idea here is to have a pump that takes extra fluid from your brain and moves it to your heart or your belly. This is the surgery I am supposed to be deciding if I want. It's pretty scary and my friend Kevin is threatening to take away my internet privileges so I stop scaring myself but I counter with if I weren't knowledgeable I'd be dead by now, killed by doctors who just weren't paying as much attention as I was. He says yes but I would have been happier and worry free before I died.

So anyway, this particular shunt is meant to be very good because you can program it after installation which means the patient doesn't have to keep undergoing shunt revisions. But look at the picture and the description. Can you imagine if say someone programmed their remote for their garage door wrong and it shot the pressure in your head up to a gazillion ccs? Okay it's not really possible but it's funny. Well it's funny to me anyway.

I was stricken with a migraine the last two days. Last night it was so bad that I turned off all the lights and hid under the covers and cried for several hours. I kept thinking I would pay five hundred dollars for a narcotic. That is a lot of money but I would have paid it. This morning I could not research my column because I couldn't focus. So I don't know. The shunt is scary but if it works...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home