Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Why can't I do that? Tell me one more time...

I was just writing my column for Quality Time and I wrote this:


1999 - Run Lola Run – this is another movie that I absolutely love. It’s also not exactly linear but not nearly as out of sequence as Memento. It’s more of a sort of fractured time line. It’s the story of a girl who has 20 minutes to get 100,000 franks and bring it a guy who is going to kill her boyfriend if she is late or fails to get the money. Franka Potente plays Lola with such panache that you can’t imagine anyone else in that part. The film is in German with subtitles. It’s violent and quirky and strange but it’s got a glorious, uplifting underlying theme that will make you fall in love with life all over again.

What I don't talk about is how after Dan died I used to lie in bed and stare at the ceiling and wonder why Lola could work things out and change them and I couldn't. I still wonder. I still love this film but it will never be the same to me as it was when Dan and I watched it and talked about film making techniques and the whole world lay open ready for us to make our marks upon it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home