Monday, January 10, 2005

Some books I enjoyed from 2004

Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, Book 6) by Stephen King – This book is deeply weird. Not deeply weird in the classic King style of there is an alien/monster/vampire trying to take over my brain/body/town sort of way but in a new breaking down the fourth wall sort of way. When I first started this series nearly twenty years ago I had some concerns that the author would not live to finish the books. Apparently King had some of the same fears and he uses them as a plot device in Song of Susannah. But it works and the book is just as compelling and well written as the rest. The book ends in a huge cliffhanger and I can’t wait for the book seven, which will also be book the last.

To the Nines (A Stephanie Plum Novel) by Janet Evanovich – Okay the hardback came out in 2003 but I read the paperback which came out in 2004 so don’t bug me. Do you like your families dysfunctional, your cars exploding and your characters quirky? Then the adventures of Stephanie Plum, the worst bounty hunter in the world, are just the thing for you. In this episode Steph gets to get out of Jersey and go to Vegas as she tries to find her skip before every person who could help her is killed in front of her.

Nick Hornby's Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby – What a terrific book. Hornby is insightful, funny and just as bizarre as I am. What a relief to discover that other readers get so upset over books that they start arguing with the authors who are nowhere in sight. I was particularly pleased to hear from another writer who reads because we can have a different perspective than readers who don’t write.

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett – You know how people say they think they will die laughing but they don’t mean it? I think I went through three inhalers reading this book. It’s the sequel to Wee Free Men and it’s got Tiffany Aching the Witch and the Mac Nac Feegle. Tiffany is again an excellent strong, fun, brave, clever role model for girls and the Mac Nac Feegle are terrific role models for 6 inch high thieving drunken fairy men who curse a lot. Be sure to read Wee Free Men before this one because you will be ever so glad that you did.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke – I cannot tell you how much I adore this book. It took me about a week to read because I was enjoying it so much I didn’t want to rush. I was worried because when I have read Clarke’s short stories I found them interesting and witty but not warm and what is wit without warmth? But I needn’t have worried. I cared deeply for her characters and had several conversations with the absent Clarke about why she treated some of them the way she did and if she minded if I just pretended that she hasn’t. I have seen some people complain about the footnotes but I particularly enjoyed them. To me they were like the little stories in Gaiman’s American Gods. Many of the footnotes are stand alone stories of Faerie and are perfect for reading aloud to someone you love. The illustrations are lovely and a splendid addition to the text.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home