Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Swamp thing writers

I read a bunch of old Swamp Thing comics over the last couple of days. The first ones I read were by Nancy A. Collins (Sonja Blue) and I liked them quite a lot.

The rest were by mostly by Mark Millar. I did not like his work. Some of the letters in the letter column were going on about how wonderful he is and how he brought the horror back to the series but I didn't see it. I thought those issues were tedious and confusing. You would think it would be hard to be both but he managed. The elements that were supposed to be shocking were just so bad and ridiculous I sprained my eyes rolling them. This one woman couldn't die so she got a job as a hooker who let people murder her every night and she dug it. Yeah whatever.

For something to fit into the horror category it has to be scary. I have to (and I know I keep harping on this) care about characters before I can be frightened for them. Horror can also work if it hits upon something that I find deeply creepy but none of this did. It was like the author wanted to shock and offend so much that his work became a parody of itself and entered the realm of the sublimely unbelievable.

Next up - Animal Man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home