Sunday, February 06, 2005

Walking a fine line

I have noticed that people who have a chronic illness tend to claim that illness as their own. For instance they will say "my high blood pressure" (or just "my pressure") or "my diabetes." If we believe that the mind and the spirit have a direct affect on the body then claiming an illness seems like a poor idea. Therefore I don't want to say "my pseudotumour" or "my intracranial hypertension." I don't even want to add it to my profile because I don't think my limitations define who I am.

On the other hand it might be frustrating for someone who has followed a link here to wonder why I talk about throwing up so much or why I pass out or get dizzy so much or why I am so damn grouchy and how anyone can have a headache all the time. I want to be articulate but also positive.

Now since I am supposed to be making up my mind as to whether or not I want shunt surgery I am reading the profiles at the PTC Community site. Goodness gracious it's enough to terrify anyone. I don't want to have surgery over and over again. I want to get better. That's all I know right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home