Saturday, January 22, 2005

Some people should not be allowed to practice medicine

I had to go and get a blood test yesterday. I feel like it is almost always an ordeal when I do this. Really it is not but the ones that are bad outweigh the ones that are good and all the anticipation makes it harder to bear.

When the phlebotomist called me back there was another person in the room, a soulless fuck as it turned out, although I didn't know that yet. I am pretty friendly when I get these procedures. I don't see why I should be grouchy just because I hate the whole thing and it's often difficult. I said hello to the guy standing there and asked him how he was. He did not seem to think a reply was needed.

I pushed my sleeves up and sat down and he grabbed my hand and put the tourniquet around my wrist. Why? Why do that to someone? I have so much scarring on the veins of my hands from morons who do that. I can't even tell you how many times the veins have been "blown" by careless oafs who are using a needle too big for the tiny vessels.

I was feeling so sick and faint that I didn't even argue with the guy. I was afraid I would throw up or pass out or not be able to talk to him in a reasonable voice but I just got more and more angry with myself for not telling him no way, someone needed to try my arms before my hands. He hurt me quite a lot and then slapped a bandage on. When I looked at my hand he hadn't even done the vein in the middle of the hand. He had taken the blood from right next to the knuckle on the left. What the fuck is that? I cannot think of any reason a sane person would try there first.

Then when I got up and started to leave he started yelling card at me because I hadn't picked up my insurance card. God forbid he should use a complete sentence or something. I wonder if this man ever has to get any medical care. I think not because you don't do shit like this to people when you know what it means.

Here I am a day later with a bruise and a huge swelling on my right hand (I am indeed right handed) and I get faintly queasy when I look at the marks on the back of my hand. And yes it hurts. I have to go back in four weeks, at the latest. If I get this guy again I am going to refuse to allow him to touch me. I hope. If I don't wimp out and just shut up and take it like the "good patient" that I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home