Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Washington Post is My nemesis

I have a lot of freedom when it comes to writing my Quality Time columns. Picking my topic for the week is really difficult for me I have so many choices. My main restriction is that I don't want to be like everyone else. I don't want to write the same way or about the same topics as the pieces you would find by clicking on the msn homepage.

A couple of months ago I subscribed to the Washington Post online. I'm not entirely sure why because normally I hide from the news as most news depresses me and makes me feel helpless and inconsequential. But for better or worse I subscribed and I noticed an incredibly annoying pattern.

Every single week WaPo scoops me. They wrote about the Dali exhibit before I could arrange for a ride to the museum. They wrote about the upcoming Tut tour before I had time to do any research. They see movies and get books before I do. They certainly got their hands on the PSP before I did. I have to expect a lot of this because they are THE WASHINGTON POST and I am only Quality Time but still it irks me.

The final straw was this last week when I was thinking that the Sheep and Wool Festival is coming up and wondering if it is a big enough event that I could write about it and the freaking Post scooped me. Dad blast it, I have been going to the Sheep and Wool for years and years, at least twelve, probably more, it is my Festival. How dare they?

I think at this point I have two choices. I can paint my house with aluminum paint to keep them from reading my brain waves or I can cancel my subscription so I just don't know that they are scooping me.

In the meantime I wrote this week about arboretums. Take that Post!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home