Saturday, February 11, 2006

Ridiculous Censorship

I haven't posted much this week because I've been excessively grouchy. And busy, but mostly I didn't just want to complain about stuff. However here it is, barely ten am and I've already been dismayed and irritated by stupid censorship stuff.

I was just updating my mini at Pogo.com, a sort of paper doll that you can dress up, you buy the clothes with tokens you win playing the games. It's a brilliant idea and whoever came up with it should get a ginormous raise.

The newest thing with these minis is allowing you to write a caption under them. I just bought a superhero suit for mine and she's out on Route 66 with her trusty turkey Winston. Because the costume is a cat and the turkey is looking up adoringly I tried to edit my caption to read "He'll eye me suspiciously," a line from Jonathan Coulton's brilliant song, "The Future Soon." But because the censorship program is, shall we say intellectually challenged, it censored my caption just so:



Isn't that ridiculous?

In other news, I see that Senator Ted Stevens (R) (Jerk) held hearings about "indecency." According to my Playback (AFTRA/SAG newsletter)

Under consideration is legislation that would fine individual performers up to $500,000 for speech or action deemed to be "indecent."

It goes on to say our new president, Alan Rosenberg is defending us and pointing out that actors don't write their own lines.

Can you imagine the chilling effect this law would have? Actors would be afraid to work. Screenwriters would be afraid to write anything that could be considered indecent - a word that can be interpreted in so many ways as to be completely meaningless.

To the best of my knowledge this whole write in and complain about everything you see on television campaign is the work of one astroturfing company. They and all their little, whiny, scared of life members, need to grow up and start worrying about serious problems, you know, the Miss America ones, world peace, hunger, AIDS epidemic, global warming or the fact that the Red Cross is using my donations to make AOL rich and to sue video game companies and first aid kits, or perhaps makers of first aid kits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home