Monday, April 10, 2006

Lucky Number Slevin

I took the boys to see this movie yesterday. Wow, it is simply amazing. What is life worth in this film? Not a plugged nickel, that's for sure. I remember when Pulp Fiction came out, people were calling it ultraviolent and I was wondering what exactly that meant. Slevin is more along the lines of what I thought they meant. People get shot left and right.

But, much like the Libertine, the movie definitely begins and it means to go on and you can't really complain and say you didn't expect all that violence. You get it right upfront, at the beginning of the film.

Did I like it? Yes. I loved it. The dialogues snaps right off the screen, my stomach hurt from laughing so much, I had no idea what was going to happen or what Slevin (Josh Hartnett) was going to do to get out of these jams, the camera work was fun and interesting and the acting was sublime.

Lucy Liu is adorable. You just want to stick her in your pocket and take her everywhere you go. Morgan Freeman is menacing but somehow fatherly. Sir Ben Kingsley is just incredible, playing a Rabbi gangster who manages to get along with both parts of his personality just fine. Bruce Willis is a mysterious man, who we first meet telling a heartbreaking story. "It all starts with a horse" and so it does. Where does it lead? All over the damn map but oh what a journey.

I am in love with this movie. And you know, I used to not be able to watch a film that had a drop of blood in it.

Oh SPOILER -

You can totally tell the audience is very engaged with this film because something happens that is so awful and over the top, and just plain too much to bear, that there were cries of "no" and "oh" and "why?" from all over the theater. It was a heartbreaking instant but how I love to be in a group of strangers all feeling the same feeling, living the same moment. That is why I'm willing to shell out forty-five bucks to take my family to the movies, for that moment of communion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home