Saturday, May 13, 2006

A Egg on My Camera

I had a bad brain day today, complaining to Cullen that an egg was walking on my camera when I meant an ant on my computer. I was very blocked for words most of the day, even having trouble writing, which is usually easier than talking for me. I keep having to go back and fix words as I type this.

We went over to the community college to enroll Cullen so he could take some math class that will allow him to take calculus his senior year at his high school. While we were there I talked to a really terrific woman in the advising department who is also in charge of disabled services and she said if I get my doctor to fill out a form then I can get help with this math class I need to graduate. She said that includes things like more time for taking exams.

She was extremely encouraging. I started college when I was sixteen, have a ridiculous number of credits and a pretty good GPA (it was 3.46 before I got sick and flunked this math class) and I have no degrees to show for it. To graduate from the community college I need one math class. I took a class Andras calls math for poets and flunked it. I was supposed to take the final for that the on the fourteenth of May 2002 and then I had that car accident and Dan died on the 13th. So I took an incomplete but when I tried to finish the class I flunked.

So then about two years ago I tried to take college algebra and had to drop out because my eyes were so bad I couldn't even see the exponents and I simply couldn't do the math.

The advisor is suggesting I take a math class for elementary student teachers because she said that it builds on stuff I learned a long time ago and hopefully I can make new connections to old pathways. Pretty neat and I didn't even ask her for this advice, I was just checking to see if I was still one class away from graduation.

So that was pretty encouraging and as my sister Julia points out they have tutors who will drag me kicking and screaming through the course. Maybe I could graduate with my two year degree 27 years after I started college...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home