Saturday, August 12, 2006

Airport restrictions post arrest of possible mad plane bombers earlier this week

A few months ago a friend asked me if there were an airline that you could take where there was no security at all, you just got on the plane, would I take it? And I said yes. I don't think that anyone has to blow anything up anymore to throw the world (or parts thereof) into a panic. All you have to do is pretend that you are and bam there goes twenty million more man hours per year as people everywhere have to jump one more hurdle to fly.

As a result I'm just sort of vaguely irritated by these most recent arrests. It's not from a failure of imagination or anything; I can vividly see how destructive blowing up ten planes at once would be; it's mostly that I'm tired of the whole thing and don't want to play their game anymore.

Today I'm catching up on the news of the week, as I am wont to do on the weekend, and I read an article in WaPo that mentions that mothers were "forced" to sample the contents of their baby's bottles. This was in stark contrast to what I read about American planes, i.e. nobody is sampling them.

I think that if you're going to freak out and start searching people then sampling the contents is the logical thing to do. After if you're crazy enough to blow up ten planes at once then you're certainly crazy enough to kill a family, steal their baby and use it as a prop to get your mysterious liquid aboard the plane.

I'm very curious about the timing of this event and what news went out when because I was treated a bit oddly for having gatorade at the airport on the third of August. I think I blogged about it but not sure. But they did let me take it, just insisted on x-raying it first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home