Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Jude Deveraux and fairy tales

I reread Jude Deveraux's Remembrance this weekend, marveling over how much I like Hayden's tirades against the common perceptions of romance readers and writers, and noticed something I don't think caught my eye the first time I read it. Part of the book is Snow White. There is a crazed mother figure who orders two babies burned because she is jealous and they are going to disrupt her life. They end up fleeing in the woods (figuratively, they're carried by a farmer and his wife) and hide out for the next decade and a half then end up back in the bad mother figure's clutches where she proceeds to torture them. There's even poison and an apple that has to be forced out of someone's mouth to bring them back to life.

Today I finished reading Carolina Isle by the same author and there is a bit of business straight from Hansel and Gretel. I love finding stuff like this in books, it makes me feel smart and I can never have too much of that.

I did end up doing that paper, by the way, after I wrote about a thousand words of why I didn't want to. I managed to include Cthulhu and a quote from Will Shetterly, as well as a sort of political conspiracy so it wasn't as dry as it could have been. Will my teacher like it? I don't know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home