Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Candy

I watched a movie called Candy last night. It starred Heath Ledger as this heroin addict called Dan and this incredibly lovely girl whose name I can't recall as his girlfriend. It was broken into three sections called Heaven, Earth and Hell and really there's not much more I need to tell you about the plot is there? You can figure out the rest.

I accidentally saw Requiem for a Dream a few years ago and was in a funk for weeks afterwards. God, what a dreary movie. Oh it's brilliant and compelling, I'll give you that, but you have to hide the razor blades when you watch it. And I watched it thinking it was a completely different film so it was an awful surprise.

Naturally I was afraid that Candy was going to be much the same and certainly it's not exactly Pippi Longstocking Goes to the South Seas but it also didn't leave me with that gritty, ashy, dead feeling Requiem did.

But speaking as someone who lost a baby the miscarriage scene was horrible. And by horrible I mean brilliantly done, very true to life. Even the nurse with no lines is spot on. I cried so much I had to wash my glasses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home