Thursday, February 21, 2008

Excellent point

Victoria Strauss has posted the Top 12 Things Writer Beware Can't Do. It's just what it says it is, which might make non-writers think there isn't any advice in there for them but she makes a terrific point, which dovetails nicely with the XKCD comic from yesterday.

I do still get irritated when someone with no publishing experience thinks they know more about the business than I do--but I don't argue as hard as I used to. Some people have a deep need to believe that their problems come from outside themselves, and I've learned to accept that mere argument is not enough to change that.


Once you realize that facts don't matter when you're dealing with some people you can cut them off and get so much more done without them slowing you down. Of course sometimes you have to cut yourself off. You have to know your limits and if you're going to have a hard time walking away from an argument then you probably shouldn't start it at all. Or to quote Uncle Ghastly, don't let the douchebaggery of others push your don't fuck with me buttons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home