Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I would fail at this

I'm looking for a good logic puzzle for my script and I found this article. The author states:

Logic puzzles in interviews seem to be one of those things that everyone either loves or hates, but speaking as an interviewer I find logic questions critically important in deciding between candidates - far more than “behavioural” or “situational” type questions that HR peeps seem to favour....

Interviewer: Imagine you have eight coins, seven of which weigh the same and one that doesn’t (it’s heavier). You need to use a pair of scales to find out what’s the odd one out.

If this seems familiar it probably is, this is apparently one of the most asked logic puzzles in the known universe. It’s used in interviews by Microsoft, Amazon, Google, and probably hundreds of other firms.


I think the answer here is to panic. I can panic pretty calmly so maybe the interviewer wouldn't know.

I like interviews where the interviewer asks me kind of normal questions. The one I hated the most where when the dude asked if I could be a butterfly why would I want to be a butterfly. What does that even mean? This was for a job processing medical claims. When I worked for the fringe benefits firm I paid the most claims per day and I had the highest accuracy rate (99.84%). Isn't that kind of more important than butterfly motivation?

The funny thing is I tend to like logic puzzles. I remember one year at Renn Fest a bunch of us working the archery range went through three entire books of them. But in an interview setting they would just make me feel dumb and confused.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home