Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Borg rejects

I'm wondering what happens when the Borg tries to assimilate someone and their equipment won't install. What do they do?

I'm wondering because I went to the hospital this morning to get my PICC line and was there for five hours of torture (in enough pain to cry, cried enough to fill my ears with tears and I usually have a pretty high threshold for pain) while two different departments tried three times to put the PICC line in.

Apparently the basila (is that right? like a basilisk or the basilica but different...) vein in my left arm is occluded. Occluded with what? It's not the place of the PICC installers to say. Another blood clot? Maybe. Who knows.

Finally staggered out of the interventional radiology department to go home and promptly fell into some sort of spill, twisting my ankle and banging the hell out of my wrists, knee and new PICC line. The area around it is still bleeding, like seven hours later. So that was fun.

Tomorrow I start the infusion at the hematologist's office. That will be fun also. I'd forgotten what a horrible pain these things are, starting with no swimming or baths and moving through being allergic to the dressings. Oh well, I'll only have to keep it in for seven to fifteen weeks...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home