Friday, October 29, 2004

In which I find God or more accurately I bump into him on the set of a commercial and then we go to a party together

I had a dream this morning that I was working on a commercial. I'm not entirely sure what the commercial was going to be advertising, although Kevin said it could be for the University of Maryland and saving money for your kid's education what with the Maryland Terrapins and all.

I was standing on the set watching this baby crawling towards a big turtle. The turtle was doing its part by crawling towards the baby. Suddenly the turtle shot out a very long neck and bit the baby right in the face. There was such a huge commotion that I couldn't even tell if the baby was injured or not. The turtle seemed pretty smug about the whole thing.

This tall thin woman was wringing her hands and crying. She yelled "Why? Why does God let this kind of thing happen? How does it fit into His plan?"

Then God spoke up in this really great, thick Cockney accent and said "Me? Me? It's got nuffink to do wif me! It's not my plan, it's the director's plan. You won't catch me putting turtles and babies togefer."

And I thought, how very cool and so true that people blame things on Him that they do themselves and I had a really great moment.

Then we went to a party together and I was talking to some people about how I am sad because I am further from my acting goals each year and God asked me if I have set any goals for myself. He wasn't talking about acting goals he was talking about health goals because the reason I am further from my acting goals is because I am so sick from this intracranial hypertension.

I really didn't have an answer for Him. I started to say yes of course I have goals, like to walk around the block today but I realized He was right I don't have long term goals for being healthy. I just do things like take my medicine and vitamins and hope for the best.

Then God said "I can't help you reach your goals if you don't set them." And I knew He was right and I woke up and I felt so happy and secure and peaceful because it seemed that all I have to do decide what I want and He will indeed help me get it.

It's funny because for years I have been wishing God would just tell me what I am meant to be doing so I know I am on the right track but I came away sure that I am the one who is meant to decide what I should be doing and if that is writing and acting and being healthy then so be it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home