Sunday, December 18, 2005

My Reply to a Friend's Email Asking "How Was the Ape Movie?"

It was really good but completely insane. It was like 27 films in one. Very much like School of Rock at the beginning when Jack Black is wheeling and dealing. It's also pretty much a comedy at the beginning.

Then it's like the Perfect Storm or Titanic and then very much like Lord of the Rings when they get to Skull Island. Then it turns into Jurassic Park and then a Jackie Chan film with King Kong playing the part of Jackie.

It was quite intense and almost nonstop action, I think I would have been happier if there had been some breaks and some humor in the middle to relieve tension. There were some weird camera angles and a lot of chaos so I went home with a headache that just got worse and worse until this afternoon when I took some meds for it. But I imagine that a normal person is not going to get sick from it.

The acting is all really good.

The sets are wonderful, very complex.

I just wished I could have changed the ending. I know that's too silly for words but I didn't want to see Kong die. I wanted to leave or hide under my chair or something.

There were some major logic flaws like some people died from animals attacking them while other people were standing around armed with machine guns, so it was like they died just to get the body count up. But still there was nothing so awful that you couldn't tolerate it.

The natives on the island were very frightening to me. They're scarred and deformed and don't seem human. They mostly reminded me of the orcs from LOTR. The woman in front of me had a three year old with her and I think she is nuts. I would not bring a young child to this film.

But yeah, it's good and you should see it if you have the time and the money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home