Friday, November 25, 2005

A Day at the Races

I took the kids to the racetrack today for a little winter racing. It was quite cold, 27 degrees when we got home. We stayed in the clubhouse as much as possible between races so we were pretty much okay and the horses and jockeys seemed not to mind too terribly much.

The 16 horse in the seventh race was huge. He was big and fat and I would have picked him if I wanted a horse to ride. I liked him a lot but not as a racehorse. The horse I liked in that race, Rock Island Salami, won but we got back from the paddock too late to bet so no money for us.

We had two horses in the 8th race, 10 and 5. 10 won really nicely but the jockey fell off of number five and the horse ran around loose for a long time. The jockey seemed to be fine because it looked like he rode in the nine race.

We had the winning horse in the ninth race but I when I was telling Chris how to bet, because by then I was too sick to walk back and forth to the betting window, I forgot to tell him to put money on the horse to win and show. The horse went off at 99-1 odds and won. He paid 28.20 to show and 257.40 to win. Yep we were that close to lots o cash.

But anyway we had a good time except Cul isn't feeling too hot because of all the cigar smoking. We got to talk to our winning jockeys and tell them they did a great job and thanks. That's always fun. We came home with one dollar more than we had when we walked in the gates and that includes me tipping the woman who was at our betting window. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home