Monday, November 28, 2005

A Little Excerpt From my NaNoWriMo 2005

Rough, rough draft but I like it. My heroine is describing the moment when she realized her husband, who went to work one day and never came home, is truly dead and won't ever be coming back again.

"You know that film where you played the shepherd? And you've been out all night looking for the lamb and you come walking through the fog, carrying the lamb, obviously very tired, sort of damp from the fog and being out all night and your shirt's undone and you see the woman you love has been waiting for you, tending the fire?"

"Yes, that was a bugger to shoot."

"When I saw that scene I thought I was going to fall out of my seat at the theater. You were unbelievably swoony. All dark and handsome and grim and yet endearing and approachable. It wasn't long after my husband died and I remember I felt this terrible piercing longing for him. It was like I'd been stabbed in the heart and I thought I'd never learn to live without him."

Kipling was quiet, holding her hand and listening intently. He kissed her on the end of her nose. "Did you?"

"Yes, I did. I think that moment was the one for me that made me realize he was gone forever and I wasn't ever going to have anyone give me that look again. That look that says you're the one who succors me, you're the one who makes my day complete, you're the one I save up little stories to tell, you're the one who I'm letting past the armored gates of my heart and I'm glad for it. I knew those days were behind me and I was on my own from now on."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home